If you're like me, the worst thing about Halloween is also the best thing! Halloween candy is everywhere this time of year and it is so hard to resist! For me, Halloween candy is never as satisfying as I want it to be, which leads me to over indulge and leaves me feeling lousy, in the end!
Some of my personal tips to help avoid Halloween candy overload:
1. Don't buy candy before you need it. I know that it seems like some stores run out of candy before Halloween, but I can guarantee that the candy you picked up the first week in October will never make it to the front door! Wait until the weekend before.
2. Buy the good stuff! If you're going to eat it, make it worth your while. Halloween goblins might not appreciate a piece of fine, dark, Columbian chocolate, but you will! So save the Sweet Tarts for the kids and go for something palate and soul satisfying!
3. Only buy what you need. Ah those giant bags of Tootsie Rolls are such a good deal, right? WRONG. If you're a carb-monster like me, you will eat that chewy taffy on a late night binge, and if you're like my sister, you just might lose a filling while you're doing it. There are costs and there are costs, right? Don't overspend on calories just to save a few dollars. If you only have a few Halloween spooks coming to your door, buy the small bag.
4. Give away or freeze the leftovers. I always had a policy of allowing my son to eat as much Halloween candy as he wanted on the first night. I found that if he got his fill, he wasn't interested in eating much after that. We always had a lot of candy leftover. If you're a crafter, those candies are terrific for decorating a gingerbread house, but what keeps you from eating them in the meantime? Pick the ones you want to save and toss them in the freezer. It's hard to indulge a spur-of-the-moment eating binge if the sweets are rock solid! So put them in farthest, darkest part of the freezer and forget about them until Thanksgiving.
5. Order your high-quality, all natural and delicious Halloween desserts from The Clever Cake! As far as my sweet tooth goes, there is really nothing better than organic and responsibly sourced dark chocolate, fresh, sweet butter and all natural sugar to get my mouth watering. So choose quality over quantity and order some adorable Halloween cupcakes, a custom-made cake or our hand-made artisanal chocolate chip cookies!